Guidelines For Improved Spending
Excerpted from "The Money Instruction Book" by Paul Richard - ICFE Executive Director
- Don't buy on impulse.
- Put items on an impulse list and wait 30 days to purchase.
- Obtain a minimum of three alternatives and comparison prices before purchase.
- Never have more than one item on the impulse list.
- Become a comparison shopper on all items you plan to purchase.
- Pay cash for everything or don't buy it.
- Wait for special sales - ask retailers when sale dates are planned.
- Double check value, reparability, price, guarantees on all major purchases.
- Learn to read and understand all advertisements.
- Read all labels and product literature carefully.
- Use a list for grocery and household items.
- Go shopping alone - especially for household and grocery items.
- Buy private label brands where economical and practical.
- Learn to uncover gyps and scams.
- Never expect something for nothing - somehow you will pay for it.
- When writing a check for groceries make it for the amount of purchase only.
- Don't take a casual attitude towards money because it can bring about many financial casualties in the future.
- Maintain good records. Keep receipts and make reminders about cash spending.